European Research Council (ERC) was established at 2007 during FP7 to fund European frontier research. The only criteria for ERC funding is scientific excellence and all decisions are made by scientists for scientists.
- ERC funds one Principal Investigator leading a team of researchers (no need for partners)
- ERC funds any field of research (Life Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Social Sciences and Humanities)
- ERC funds ground breaking, high risk-high gain projects that normally cannot be funded by national funding agencies
- The host institution, where the principal investigator will do his/her research, must be established in an EU Member State or Associated Country like Turkey
- The principal Investigator should spend a minimum of 50% of their total working time in an EU Member State or Associated Country like Turkey
ERC offers three different funding opportunities for the researchers depending on the date that they have earned their PhD degree:
Synergy Grant calls are now also a part of ERC Calls. The purpose of Synergy Grants is to bring two to four researchers and address ambitious research questions using their complementary skills, knowledge and resources in unprecedented ways
ERC also offers additional funding only for ERC Grantees:
For 2021 calls
Calendar for 2021 Calls
2021 calls will be under Horizon Europe Programme. The dates are not certain yet.
For more information please visit official ERC website.
Total Budget of the Programme: 13.1 Billion Euro